Historic bell to ring again at local church

Daily News Staff Report

A 1,500-pound bell that sounded over Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic Church in Jennings was silenced in 2008 after 92 years of service, but was resurrected earlier this month just in time to celebrate the birth of Jesus.

The bell, affectionally named “Isabel” by the church’s youth group, was first raised shortly after the church was constructed in 1916 and traditionally rang the Angelus three times daily. It also sounded for weddings, funerals and Easter mass. The bell also clanged each time a pope died; for the election of each succeeding pope; and to celebrate the cease-fire that marked the end of the Vietnam War.

For the complete story and more local news, please subscribe to Jennings Daily News by clicking subscribe or by calling 337-824-3011.

Short URL: http://www.jenningsdailynews.net/?p=24387

Posted by on Dec 18 2013. Filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Search Archive

Search by Date

or

Search by Category

or

Search Site

 

© 2014 Jenning Daily News | PO Box 910 | 238 Market Street | Jennings, LA 70546 | 337.824.3011 | Log in