Investigate before purchasing home security system
Better Business Bureau is warning consumers to be careful when answering the door to traveling alarm system salespeople. Every summer, BBB receives complaints from homeowners alleging high pressure sales tactics and promises that were never fulfilled.
Consumers are often told they must act now, warned BBB President Carmen Million, as she added that it’s important to take a little time and do some research before purchasing any product or service.
BBB offers the following tips for consumers purchasing a security system:
• Deal with reputable firms. Do some further research and check out the company’s Business Review at www.bbb.org.
• Verify company is properly licensed and has necessary permits to solicit door to door. But remember, even if the company has a permit, you should still investigate the company you are relying on to protect your property.
• Know your rights. Consumers have three days to cancel any door to door contract if the contract is over $25. Contracts should be cancelled by sending a letter certified return receipt requested.
• Study the contract carefully. Confirm information such as installation price, monthly price, installation time, length of contract, refund policy and cancellation procedures.
• Ask about a moving clause. What happens if you move? Can the system come with you? Is there a fee to move the system? Ask before you buy.
• Check out the monitoring company. The company making the sale may not be the company providing monitoring. Check out any company you would be dealing with before making a purchase.
• Compare similar systems. BBB recommends consumers get three quotes before making any purchase. But when gathering quotes, make sure you are comparing similar equipment and monitoring plans.
• Ask for the procedures in writing before making a purchase. What happens if the company can’t reach you? Is the alarm reset? Are the police called? Are your alternate numbers called?
A home security system is a great way to keep your home and your loved ones safe. Asking the right questions and doing a little research helps consumers get the best security system for their needs.
Short URL: http://www.jenningsdailynews.net/?p=27282